You are here: Home News Incoming Migrant Workers Secretary Ople to start with a ‘system review’

Incoming Migrant Workers Secretary Ople to start with a ‘system review’

Phil Star, Philippines, 24 May 2022 - Susan “Toots” Ople is ready to start working on the country’s newest office dedicated to overseas Filipino workers, starting with a “system review” to ensure safety of the workers under their employers.

Ople, former Labor undersecretary under the administration of Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo and an OFW advocate, has accepted presumptive president-elect Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr.’s invitation to join his cabinet and lead the newly created Department of Migrant Workers.

It was President Rodrigo Duterte who pushed for the establishment of a sole agency to address OFW concerns, a move that critics said would only institutionalize a labor exportation that was only explored as band aid solution during the Marcos era.

In an interview with the ABS-CBN News Channel’s “Headstart” on Tuesday, Ople said she had already met with Marcos Jr. where they discussed “the general direction of where to take the department.”

“We really should make sure that workers protection is paramount and that we also need to balance that because we are a player in the global economy,” Ople said.

“We have to be conscious of the demands of the supply chain, while making sure that labor rights are not compromised in any way,” she added.

Read more...

Source: https://www.philstar.com/business/2022/05/24/2183414/incoming-migrant-workers-secretary-ople-start-system-review

Document Actions
comments powered by Disqus